Updated: Jul 24
As Breakthrough Sushi celebrates our 10th anniversary and my 50th birthday, I find myself preparing for a momentous occasion with 100 esteemed guests. The careful selection of fish and meticulous attention to detail are the essence of this extraordinary gathering. Allow me to share the exceptional fish order and culinary preparations that will make this event a true delight.
To ensure an unforgettable sushi experience, my fish order consists of the finest ingredients carefully curated for their quality and taste:
- 25 lbs. Yellowfin Tuna
- 3 lbs. Sea Bream Fillet
- 4 lbs. Albacore Loin
- 5 lbs. Ocean Trout
- 5 lbs. Kanpachi Fillet
- 3 lbs. Dungeness Crab Meat
- 7 lbs. Black Cod
- 4 lbs. King Ora Salmon
- 2 lbs. White Shrimp
- 3 lbs. Scallops
- Salmon Roe and White Sturgeon Caviar
In our prep kitchen, I transform these exquisite ingredients into culinary masterpieces (I hope). With 100 cups of cooked rice ready to be mixed with our house-made sushi vinegar, the foundation for delectable sushi is set. As the clock strikes 9 am, I dive into the fish preparation, meticulously cutting vegetables, packing the van, and embarking on the journey to Palo Alto, where the party awaits.
Every detail counts when it comes to crafting sensational sushi. Allow me to highlight a few techniques that elevate the flavors of our creations:
1.Steelhead (aka: Ocean Trout) and Salmon: Employing a Japanese curing technique known as "shime," I soak the fish in sugar, rinse it with water, and then cure it with salt. This process imparts a sweet taste to the salmon and adds a delightful aroma when infused with hickory smoke overnight.
2. Spicy Tuna: Attention to detail is paramount when preparing this beloved dish. I scrape tuna pieces with a spoon, ensuring a chunky texture that preserves the flavor. Mixing the freshly ground tuna with Sriracha, mayo, and sesame oil, I allow the flavors to meld and intensify over a couple of hours.
3. Baked Black Cod Miso: While seemingly ordinary, our Baked Black Cod Miso is a true crowd-pleaser. Marinated in a miso-orange juice mixture enhanced with Shio Koji, agave, and mirin, the cod reaches its full potential after an overnight marinade. Baked at a low temperature of 275°F/135°C, it becomes a delicate and savory delight.
4. Dungeness Crab: With its exceptional taste, It requires only a squeeze of lemon to elevate its savory notes. This extraordinary crabmeat is a culinary treasure, satisfying even the most discerning palates.
5. Sea Bream: The Konbu curing technique stands out for Sea Bream. The umami from the konbu permeates the delicate fish by wrapping the skinned filet with hydrated konbu and allowing it to infuse overnight. A small thin slice, fresh lemon juice, Himalayan salt, pink peppercorn, and a drizzle of White Truffle oil create a divine flavor symphony. Our client favorite.
6. Konbu Wrap Experimentation: Embracing innovation, I explore the art of wrapping various fish with Konbu. Each experiment unveils unique flavors, offering a journey of surprises and discoveries.
7. White Shrimp: Exceptional in its sustainability and pathogen-free nature, raw white shrimp takes center stage. Preparing it for sushi requires meticulous steps such as piercing the back, blanching it in boiling water, and cooling it in ice water. This careful preparation ensures the clean, sweet taste of the shrimp shines through.
8. Scallops: Though Hokkaido scallops are renowned, the Monterey Fish Market offers an extraordinary alternative. These scallops, known for their exceptional sweetness and creaminess, require minimal embellishment. A squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt or Himalayan salt enhance their natural flavors, creating a culinary wonder in every bite.
Thinking of planning your next special party?
Email us at email@example.com.
We are cut above the rest. We serve more than fish. It's the memory we create.