Many people have asked us how to prepare salmon for sushi, so we decided to put the step by step instructions.
1. Buy Ora King Salmon from Monterey Fish Market, Berkeley, CA
Ora King Salmon is farm-raised in New Zealand and is rated as sustainable by Seafood Watch Guide. Monterey Fish Market carries this salmon, so go and purchase them.
2. Freeze salmon at least 72 hours in your freezer
This will kill any practises that come with raw salmon
3. Thaw in your fridge
Slower, the better flavor
4. Make "Cure" mix
Mix sugar (we use cane sugar) and Sea Salt (3:1 ratio)
5. Sheet Pan, Salmon, Cover with cure mix
6. Add Lemon Zest
7. Let is sit for one hour to 1.5hour
Water will start to come out and the color will change from orange to red-orange.
8. Wash in water. Dry. Cut
9. Hickory Smoke using a smoke gun
We use small garbage bag to smoke, then let it sit in the fridge until we serve.